Now that National Nutrition Month is coming to an end, there is no better time to discuss what nutritionists do for their patients. Nutritionists are medical professionals who have studied and mastered food and nutrition. Many people think nutritionists are just another doctor to keep track of, but nutritionists work with patients one-on-one to find food recommendations tailored to their body type, age, and health conditions. Your nutritionist can help you understand what foods to eat, how they affect your body, and what foods you should avoid.
What are the benefits of seeing a nutritionist?
Dietitians work with patients to identify factors in their lives that might interfere with eating healthy, and find ways to overcome those obstacles. The following are just a few ways a Nutrizionista Lodi can assist you in your daily life.
- Based on nutritional needs, they can create custom menus for their patients. Creating a meal plan can also help you save money on groceries. When you go shopping with a specific list for specific meals, you’re less likely to purchase extra foods as well as the temptation to buy junk food.
- When combined with treatment from your primary care doctor or specialist, proper nutrition can help manage chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Nutritionists can also provide motivation for those struggling to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Learn about foods that may cause allergic reactions if you suffer from food allergies. This can be particularly helpful for individuals who have been diagnosed with mild to severe gluten intolerances requiring a complete diet change.
- When you eat healthier, your body doesn’t have to work as hard, so you feel more energetic and have more energy.
- Based on their current health and lifestyle, each patient receives a different plan and recommendations. A fifty year old in good health might have very different recommendations on what they should eat than a fifty year old with underlying health conditions.
We have asked our Nutritionist, Samuel Smith, to share some advice on diets now that you’ve seen some of the benefits.
When it comes to dieting, we have all heard terms such as “Keto diet,” “low carb diet,” “high protein diet,” and “no sugar diet,” among many others. It is rare to hear a discussion about the fat content of our diet. It is important for medical clinicians to know that heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women. The fat content of the food we eat can help prevent some of these deaths.
When we are older, we usually become heavier due to a more sedentary lifestyle for one reason or another. However, these changes don’t show on the outside. It is no longer possible for our bodies to process fat as they did when we were younger.
Fat should not account for more than 30% of a diet’s total calories, according to the American Heart Association. One McDonald’s Big Mac contains 550 calories and 30 grams of fat. The calories in this product alone account for 49% of your total calories. If you combine this with French Fries, you get a very high fat meal. Many people believe that the calories come from carbohydrates and sugar. Did you know that carbohydrates or sugars provide 4 calories per gram while fats provide 9 calories per gram?
As we age, we consume more calories. Due to our sedentary lifestyle, we must reduce our caloric intake. What can you do? Make sure to read food labels and look at the fat content.